- This event has passed.
Working with Industry 101
May 18, 2021 @ 5:00 am - 7:00 am PDT
Our next workshop series starts May 18, 2021, and we’d like to extend a big thanks to the nearly 100 faculty and trainees who joined us in May and October 2020! Please note our REGISTRATION DEADLINE of 5/13/2021.
Industry yields many positive results for academics. While typically industry funding only constitutes a small fraction of a lab’s overall research portfolio, the benefits to faculty & students are multifaceted & often lead to higher overall funding & publication rates. Furthermore, our industry partners are typically very interested in engaging our students for not only research projects, but for training and recruitment (e.g. internships and career opportunities). Developing strong industry partnerships create many reciprocal benefits.
Due to unique barriers, however, the process for finding industry funding requires a distinct approach. For faculty who are interested in developing an industry partnership to add to their funding portfolio, the Innovation & Research Engagement Office (IREO) has developed the course series outlined below.
In association with participation in this 100% virtual short course series, IREO is offering a limited number of stipends of $3,000 to support efforts to develop private sector collaboration. To be eligible for the funding the faculty-trainee team must attend all online sessions; funds are somewhat flexible, due to the general inability to travel at this time but usage must be approved by IREO prior to disbursement.
This 4-part course will take place via Zoom from 12:00-2:00pm on May 18 & 20 and May 25 & 27. We strongly encourage faculty to bring a senior graduate student or postdoctoral trainee for joint participation; this is a key element of strong industry partnerships. Course descriptions follow:
Class 1: Introduction to Working with Industry & Promotion of Your Research Expertise
- IREO Staff will provide an overview of the course & outline developing a partnership
- A panel of industry representatives will discuss how to initiate a conversation & develop a project
Class 2: Finding the Right Partner & Specific Contacts
- Experts from WSU libraries will instruct how you can find companies working & publishing in your interest areas
- We will walk through individual outreach strategies, and examples will be tailored to applicable research areas of attendees
- Exclusive appointments will be available for personalized follow-up and coaching from our experts
Class 3: Process, Proposal, Timelines & Statements of Work: Getting to the Project
- Overview of initial contact to getting project scoped, submitted & over to legal
- How to address common pitfalls & develop success strategies during the process
Class 4: Contracting & Best Practices for Managing Outputs
- Identifying industry contracting & meeting the expectations of industry partners
- Tools & tips for being a good partner, billing, adding ancillary value & getting to the next project
- A panel of faculty peers will discuss strategies and adaptations from their industry experiences
Space is limited so reserve your spot now! Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions, or please use the link at the top of the page to register. Please also list the name of the trainee who will join you; your trainee may also complete the form on your behalf.